Sunday 15 July 2012

365/197 Literature.

I never really liked 'English Lit' as we called it at school and that was long enough ago to have avoided having to study pieces of Shakespeare and the like, which is what I would think of as 'real' literature..(A small piece of Lord of the Flies is all I can remember studying way back when.. when? oh about 1976!)but I do actually own an awful lot of books..I think I keep a lot of them because they reflect different periods of my life maybe..this ittle lot were on my Reading List for Uni, several even written by my lecturers and I always thought how cool it was to write a book of your own.. now we have Colin's brother and his Uncle both in print!... also in this section are my Geography 'A; leel projects and Dark Side of the Moon CD..every picture.. etc!

When the children were small I used to supervise for Usborne books and it was a great time to do that, before the Net Book Agreement collapsed and allowed discounting of books as it is today...it was also brilliant to work selling something I thought was a great product and get out with the children to meet new people all the time. 

I have a bookcase on our landing, I thought maybe I should reduce the numbers but it won't be long before Lilly may fall in love with the stuff JB and Kate were reading not long ago..Michael Morpurgo and Jacqueline Wilson will be ageless methinks!
Lisa and JB eat books and miss meals and sleep when they get into a title and lately they have been reading Hinger Games and Game of Thrones so its been a fair bit of toing and froing of titles..



Myself, I have phases of reading, usually on holidays and I get quite engrossed...I quite like biographies, random ones I can remember were Frank Skinner (!) and Billie Piper, but I love Anita Shrive and have just read a couple of Patrick Gayles..especially nice when he bases it close to here.. his depiction of Penzance Cinema in 'Notes from and Exhibition' is priceless..x

PS Must just say that A Short History of Tractors in Ukranian appealed to me mainly by its old fashioned cover but boy, it was such a surprise.. especially when we had just employed a Polish guy for the first time.. x

5 comments:

  1. Loved your post- books do bring back so many memories. I've kept some of the girls childhood books to hopefully share with grandchildren one day.

    We have a book written by my dh's grandma's gardener. He became an artist and it was a book of his work. It's probably the only first edition we own! He painted his grandma house- which was a really pretty one and think it featured in his next book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am hopeless with names and titles! But Patrick Gayle rings a positive bell :) Books are fab and I am glad your family enjoy them whichever way :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a great collection of books, I like osborne books as well and have got a few for the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so interesting to have a pick at what other people read or have in their house. I love your children's books. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful post! Actually there are so many memories about books! I like to see your library.
    Do you have a habit inscribing books with greetings when they are be present / gift??

    ReplyDelete

I am hoping that 'Anonymous' has stopped stalking me with his Spam now, but may have to put verification back on if it comes back.. I just can't buy any more over the counter drugs or Louis V handbags girls!! ;-)