Saturday 7 July 2012

365/189 Past its' prime..

.. more on the fishing industry today I'm afraid.. not a soapbox issue for me especially, just seemed like a good photo opportunity as we took the girls over to Mousehole for some fresh air.  It's quite a long day when it begins about 7.30 on a Saturday so it was nice to get out, as much for me and the routine change as for them!   We realised en route that there was a kind of festival weekend so we parked a fair way outside and walked in..pretty much against the flow of people but we only really wanted a browse.

There were some old (maybe restored) luggers in the harbour..I have seen old pictures of the harbour filled with pilchard fishing boats and these were a reminder.  The harbour may have the odd boat where someone makes a living from it, but now it is mostly pleasure boats, certainly the commercial days for the harbour are 'past their prime'

M&D have been having a good break in London and the girls have been great.. Lyla has briefly swapped her 'relevant adult' fixation to me so it's fun when I leave the room.. when I came out of Tesco I found Col chatting to the girls from outside the car, through the window and they were both in fits of laughter.. turns out he had been teaching them how to make a kind of burping sound and then ask 'Who was that!'  Lyla is much noisier and fun than her shy initial persona implies.


I was teasing Col how funny it is that he can play the stern boss to the kids but then he plays a game and suddenly he is the best fun... easy when you have had the morning on mechanical duties outof the house!!  Lilly especially loved when he was pushing her in the pushchair and pretended to be 'losing control' heading for the hedgerows.. 'Mr Safety Man' being unsafe.. kinda made me smile.

Funniest part of the day was me telling Col how I wanted to get a new buggy for the girls as the one they have was a cheaper quick-buy we got one summer 'just in case' and I bemoaned that it didn't have turning castors on it.. well, my oh so clever mechanical man observed that the front wheels 'looked like castors'... 'you sure they aren't just locked?'.. and sure enough they were, he unlocked them and happily he pushed the last mile, all twists and turns and me saying 'bah!!'

Well I have to go make a card pronto as my eldest turns 26 tomorrow and as Lilly says we're having a 'stupendous breakfast / brunch' for him.. croissants and 'juice with bits' xx

7 comments:

  1. Ahh, lovely post today Kathi. I lov e those photos of Mousehole, a proper place that is. Wouldn't it be brilliant to have a helicopter ride over the area and see all of it 100 years ago. Those luggers look great, I hadn't heard of that term. Lovely boats.

    Well done Col. Mr Fix-it :)

    I'm glad the girls are so much fun and that they have your (no doubt) early morning planned tomorrow down to the nth degree. Juice Bits included :D xxxxx Enjoy the celebrations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Kathi. I love it when you show all the boats around. It's a bit like we show others what we know best, that's like watching a documentary. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to read you pair getting so much pleasure from the girls - that's what being a grandparent is all about (so they tell me!!) Had to laugh re the wheels that is just what would happen with Mick and I. lol xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. good news about the pushchair, so much easier with swival wheels.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to agree with aren and we bought a pushchair second hand and didn't know the wheels were locked either! good on Colin!!!

    Trying to blog, read your blogs watch tennis and eat my dinner too LOL

    Hope breakfast was all the girls expected!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful pictures! I looked at them in detail. Great views.
    I agree with you about the boats, past its prime. You had a great day! I can only sorry that I do not understand English fluently to fully enjoy your writing. With comments ladies, I understand that you have excellent writing style.
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Castors
    Castors :-BIL Castors and Wheels manufactures and supplies castors, casters and pneumatic wheels. Great deals on casters, big savings on pneumatic wheels. Huge selection of castors for all applications
    Super Auto Parts

    ReplyDelete

I am hoping that 'Anonymous' has stopped stalking me with his Spam now, but may have to put verification back on if it comes back.. I just can't buy any more over the counter drugs or Louis V handbags girls!! ;-)