Wednesday 4 July 2012

365/186 Dangerous.

I wasn't sure what I would photograph today, some of my family and friends grinned when I told them 'my word of the day'.. they know that in the right frame of mind I can be  quite naughty and that is the dangerous they thought of...but it's midweek and I am not on naughty mode just now..

.. had my hair cut today, always nice to go over to Newlyn.. I have loved that place since my Dad used to take fish to market there from the cove when I was a kid. I guess it was like a mysterious place where they had a market, sold fish and gave everyone money.. a bit like the wonderfully evocative 'Covent Garden' where Mum and Dad sent violets in winter for selling on..At Christmas we always went to Newlyn for the Carolaire and the lights turn on (more recently it is Mousehole which takes the attention but Newlyn still boasts some great features at that time of year)

My brother fishes out of there, comes 'home' from France every couple of weeks and does a decent trip. I don't see him a whole pile but when I'm over that way I sometimes get a feeling to go down the quay and have a quick peek for him...

today it was spring high tide, my most favourite state of the tide and his boat was alongside.


There was loads of kit there too but I am so rubbish at remembering which tide they fish (I think it is the neaps) I'm not sure if that is for the next trip or if they are just in.. it looked quite organised so maybe they're off in a day or two.

 And there it was, a small tribute to the work life / place of fishermen now and then...the sea is such a great servant but we all know the risks even in fair weather and whilst we love being close to it and on it, it's sometimes a dangerous place to be..

Ken was at sea from such a young age it must be first nature rather than second to him to be on a boat. I remember Mum telling me that when he was six she had to go into hospital with appendicitis and rather than Dad stay in from sea to look after him before and after school, they took him along, tied a rope around his waist and onto the gunnel so he wouldn't fall in..or if he did they could pull him back quick!!

5 comments:

  1. That's a beautiful post KathiJo. It's true the sea like the mountains is so attractive but can be so dangerous too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful post. Fantastic photos!
    The sea holds many secrets...
    We have a tradition -We say -
    Happy new hairstyle!
    / Also - Happy bath! /-It was for good mood.
    I wish you a sunny day - Be naughty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathy love the story about being tied to the boat to recuperate LOL!!

    Peter's Grandad was a fisherman called Quiddy. All the fisherman in the old town of the fishing fraternity had nicknames. He was brought up by his grandparents and doesn't have such fond memories of his childhood as when there were pennies spare Gran drank beer and Grandad was also drunk and then there were fistie cuffs and Pter used to hide, so sad and guess what, peter doesn't drink!

    ReplyDelete
  4. great pictures and so true, the sea is a wonderful place but very dangerous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So true about the sea and the fishermen. It reminds me of the small seaside town where we go on holiday. The family we stay with is also a family of fishermen.

    ReplyDelete

I am hoping that 'Anonymous' has stopped stalking me with his Spam now, but may have to put verification back on if it comes back.. I just can't buy any more over the counter drugs or Louis V handbags girls!! ;-)