Thursday 12 July 2012

365/194 Motorised

.. well I have had a few offers today, items from the workshop or maybe the guys' cars in the yard (specifically Simon's TVR which should impress they tell me...) and also ideas of units we have built.

Later this evening I decided I would leave this til tomorrow so I could include some of Jordan's pictures of Farnborough airshow, but I found this picture and thought I'd include it as it is a nice memory and bloggable item...
... this is a (pastel I think) of my step-fathers boat which he owned with his brother Frank. They were kind of last generation fishermen from Mousehole, they used to have a shark fishing licence for the summer and then went mackereling in the winter, sometimes even from Falmouth if the fish were over that way.


When Mum & Phil were 'courting' it was summer, 1973, David Bowie was singing about Life on Mars and Alice Cooper was shouting that 'School's Out'..
Every day in summer the boat seemed to be landing up to 45 sharks, small ones mainly but some big Porbeagles, the Seafarer's restaurant in Penzance even used to buy them and sell shark steaks!
Holiday makers would book a day's shark fishing and Phil & Frank were an entertainment in themselves. There are so many stories that Phil told me... about the man with a false leg which fell off as he walked up the steps as he was leaving the boat... Phil just picked it up, handed it to him and said.. 'that was some shark bite'.. or the times when wives went to have a day at sea but seemed to look seasick once they drifted a couple of miles out waiting for sharks to respnd to the drums of rubby-dubby they tipped over the side to entice them..Phil and Frank could work out the balance of who looked sick and often came in early when they timed the 'vote to go back to harbour' just to conicide with the maximum number of sick on board!


The Talisman used to be harboured in Mousehole during the summer whilst the baulks (wooden sleepers placed in the mouth of the harbour to stop the sand being leached out in bad wether) were up..PZ 280, it was the same as our phone number, things used to be that easy to remember...xx

7 comments:

  1. I love boats but I am sick like a dog on them. I went deep sea fishing in Kenya long ago. After 1 hour, I would have paid them anything to go back to land but some guys on board wanted to fish. OMG never again , lol ! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a lovely memory, well lots of them, I had Shark Steak once here in our Smuggler's Restaurant, It was interesting :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful picture! Great post!
    Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. lovely picture of the boat and such nice memories to go with it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the picture of the boat.

    A few years back Guy took both girls on a fishing trip and took them for something to eat just before. A BIG mistake. Emma went green as soon as the boat left the harbour and everyone else joined in.

    A complete stranger on the boat let her have his coat because she was feeling soooo green! I'm glad I missed that particular trip.But they haven't been on another one!

    Your tales make me long for our holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  6. lovely memories, thank you Kathijo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love hearing all your fishing memories and so doe Peter!

    ReplyDelete

I am hoping that 'Anonymous' has stopped stalking me with his Spam now, but may have to put verification back on if it comes back.. I just can't buy any more over the counter drugs or Louis V handbags girls!! ;-)