Sunday 13 May 2012

365/134 Portrait of a woman.

I used to have a portrait of my Dad's mum, Bessi Anne Stone a lady I know little about; she died when he was only 16 and, as he was an only child and died when I was 8, there was never was a time when he talked to me about her. The last time I saw that picture it was in an old oval frame and got damaged in the cellar / outdoor shed of our cottage in Mousehole. I was not that nostalgic then and for some reason did not save it, so who knows if I will ever see her picture.

...........................

This portrait I found amongst my Aunt and Mum's things when 'sorting' after Mum died. It is my maternal grandmother Leonora Edna Warren nee Jewels.  Looking at this picture she has the look of my great niece and I must show it to the family when they are next here. It is funny how we must resemble our ancestors so much yet often never know it as we don't meet or know people who can make the connnections.


This is the only grand parent I ever knew, and if I am honest there was little love between us, she was 70 when I was born and rather old at that point, housebound and frail, much 'older' than you'd expect a 70 year old to be now.

I think she was fonder of my brother, a first (and only) grandson, born when she was not then 60 and able to look after him a bit and enjoy him.  Leo was widowed in her early 40's as was my Mum, and she had three children still to raise. Her husband, my Mum's father was a strong capable type, a local peacher and school teacher so his sudden death must have left her quite helpless.

It's sad to find pictures of your grandparents in their youth, but it does remind you that they were someone's young mum once full of energy and smiles, much different to the grumbly old lady I knew who watched wrestling in TV but wouldn't let me play cards on a Sunday!

I feel a little guilty for my feelings towards her as she was mum to my mum and when I moaned to her she must have been hurt.. as I would if the kids moaned about mine now!

..........................Oh well, to lighten the mood I am off out with some of the family to a comedy show at Fowey's Literary Festival.. bye!!!

4 comments:

  1. I love older photos. We have a couple where no one knows who they are and I think that's sad. One photo looks like a set of twins - which I'd love to know about as I had twins. I remember my grandparents as being OLD and they did act older than my own parents did with my children.

    I hope you have a lovely evening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know what they say : If only we knew then what we know now !
    I try not to have regrets about grand parents or grand uncles and aunties. Many passed away at a time I was too young and not interested enough. I wish I would have been as I am now but I guess that's part of life ! We can't ask from us as a child to have had the maturity (supposed ! ) we have now. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am four years younger than my mum was when dad retired. She looked an old lady then. I have wrinkles but now a days we don't seem to have the need to dress old as our parents did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Personally, I think you and she have a similar 'look', although I have only clapped eyes on you for real once!! There is definitely 'a look' there, though. Great photo. Sorry she didn't let you play cards on Sunday. lol.

    ReplyDelete

I am hoping that 'Anonymous' has stopped stalking me with his Spam now, but may have to put verification back on if it comes back.. I just can't buy any more over the counter drugs or Louis V handbags girls!! ;-)