Wednesday 26 May 2010

'Ok, Fish..

..it's Kate and I'm back..'
This was her greeting to the fish stocks as we arrived on the Runnelstone yesterday teatime!

The weather was great, sunny and warm, until we came back home about 7pm, getting cooler then.  Not much luck with the fish though, Si and Col got a couple of nice pollock, Kate was getting frustrated at this point, wondering if she had lost her 'lure' (in fishing joke!)
But we hung around near some guys who knew what they were doing and gave her some feathers, sure enough ten minutes later we had a few mackeral on board. 

As for me, I kind of like just being out there, I laid back in the shelter of the boat, sun in my face and the blue sky in my mind...

...on the way home we passed by some traditional fishing boats like my Dad would have had (and here I have to say, his was a nice wooden punt rather than GRP fibreglass, by the way... and clinker built would have been my memory of choice, but alas his wasn't....I have to be honest here!) 

It made me think about how many hours, days, weeks, months, years even he must have spent out there, along with the guys from the cove; work, rest and play all based around the same mile of coastline...the same mile of coastline which makes me feel I belong (ala 'if I were a salmon')

I was wondering how much those fabulous granite cliffs might have changed in the 50 years since then...not much I guess, and little more in the hundreds of years Penberth has been a fishing cove.   We passed by the boats, quite close, men working, comfy in their surroundings, second nature to them, ... and it felt like maybe.. just maybe.. we were in a time loop...where this could have just been 1960's instead...and maybe I could reach out and touch...

1 comment:

I am hoping that 'Anonymous' has stopped stalking me with his Spam now, but may have to put verification back on if it comes back.. I just can't buy any more over the counter drugs or Louis V handbags girls!! ;-)