Wednesday 14 November 2012

365/319 Nostalgic

So this is what most people think should be my middle name ... (and to be fair is much preferable to the middle name I do have!!) I stop well short of being one of those people who has a 40's styled house, or one who wears a certain style of clothing relating to a period.. but I do fit the definition perfectly..

Nostalgia : a wistful desire to return in thought or in fact to a former time in one's life, to one's home or homeland, or to one's family and friends; a sentimental yearning for the happiness of a former place or time
I read Anne's definition and blog and understand that slant and how it can be a painted negative emotion but mine is more 'wistful' and 'sentimental' purely I think because I had a lovely childhood and as I moved home at 13 it compounded the fact that I was leaving not only a place but also a time.

The place has hardly changed since then and some of the same people live there still and I can go back and reminisce about things so it's a nice feeling all round... my family refer to a return visit (it is only about 15 miles away) as Mum's Nostalgia Tour and they tease me about taking new family members there so I can recount the tales to a new audience!

But I know it is them teasing me and one day, in fact already, they have tales of their own about Penberth.. Ross' first paddle, seing a snake and going there with Will & Michele in the bitter cold and with Uncle Bill taking river photos.

this is a double layout I did when one of Ross' friends got the Nostalgia Tour treatment out west a few years ago....


... and Nostalgic feelings can be conjured up even about quite recent things.. our Zac had hours of fun with Squawky the parrot when he was young. It just says everything you say back to it and seems to be a favourite with toddlers forever...he was featured with vintage model cars in a nauticalia magazing I saw in the office today, of all days!

.. we have one still and I think it is the third or fourth we have owned since Zac's! Lilly likes to make him wear a Pirate's hat too!

One for Linda!


 
(I am blogging early tonight, planning to watch Erin Brockovich with Ross & April..(I love that film.. @*$%! ugly shoes! ).... oh and off to find a fatted calf.. Zac is home for the weekend!!)

7 comments:

  1. enjoy the film and good luck with finding the calf :) lovely layout too

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post. I hope you enjoy the film tonight

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy your film evening. Lovely photos and post. I do love the stories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post and love thay double layout so much, it is gorgeous, those colours are beautiful and suit Cornwall so well.

    I love Erin Brockovich too, I didn't realise it was on, i'll go find! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like that movie too.
    I like your way of being nostalgic. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. How lovely that you can relive your happy childhood memories only 15 miles away! Nice post and lovely layout.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent post! Magnificent pages. They is a true pleasure for the eyes. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete

I am hoping that 'Anonymous' has stopped stalking me with his Spam now, but may have to put verification back on if it comes back.. I just can't buy any more over the counter drugs or Louis V handbags girls!! ;-)