Thursday 20 January 2011

'In the navy..'

.. do you remember that song? I think it was a Village People number which even if you hated it certainly stayed in your head for hours to come.  Well a few years ago, when Ross wasn't appearing to have much direction workwise, Colin used to tell him that he should join the Navy.  I was not really impressed with the idea, after all he was my firstborn, and he would be bossed about and have to be clean and tidy, and people might shout at him....mmmm, sounds a bit like staying living with me, maybe Colin was thinking straight  and I had been prepping him for it after all??

Well, I digress (as if), when Ross came in the room Zac used to play the song on his phone..'In the Navy...etc'  Must have worked as Ross seemed to get busy doing something somewhere and is now well settled and really very good at what he does.  

Ironically though it is Zac who may be heading for the high seas, but it's the Merchant Navy this time, and at last I actually understand a little about what it is.  My oldest friend had a brother in the Merchant Navy and to me it meant he was away a lot, had a blue uniform (which I only ever saw in those posed photos on his Mum's wall), was always suntanned, had lots of tattoos and he always seemed to be just home from Singapore with a Chinese style dress for his Mum...mind you, that was in the 1960's and Singapore doesn't seem quite so far across the world to me now.

Zac is hoping to get onto a Cadetship with a Cruise Ship company and ultimately onto super yachts, but let's just get him to the Open Day at Southampton tomorrow before we start plotting his journey around the world!  (though if he does get on the course, he does 28 weeks away after only 16 weeks study!)

Really like this poster, but really should have posted a pic of a cruise ship..

2 comments:

  1. My dad was in the merchant navy and has seen nearly every part of the world and remembers it as some of the best times in his life. He did have to fire guns in the war which he said was scary. He now has a war vetrans badge which he is so very proud off. All the best at southampton xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Luck Zac if that is where he is meant to be it will be right.

    ReplyDelete

I am hoping that 'Anonymous' has stopped stalking me with his Spam now, but may have to put verification back on if it comes back.. I just can't buy any more over the counter drugs or Louis V handbags girls!! ;-)