Friday 5 October 2012

365/279 A local landmark.

  
Well being lucky enough to live in Cornwall I guess lots of people are familiar with some of our most well known local landmarks: St. Michael's Mount, Land's End and my best place view of Porthcurno Bay across to Treryn Castle headland.  Without boring everyone more than usual about this but to be there on the sea-side is just heaven for me, or as close as it gets, even Col understands the replenishment those granite cliffs give me..am I turning into a granite hugging pagan in my old age I wonder!?

Blogger is still not enjoying tablet world so I am writing here and will adjourn to the kitchen to find a nice picture.

Col travelled home from Hampshire today, he spent the evening with Zac and his flatmate last evening, good food and lots of seafaring chat, just what he likes!  Today he had to go to Portland and through Weymouth, he is so envious of the southcoast marinas.

Sadly Penzance has not utilised its natural features to the best advantage and only has one meagre slipway that is now usable and no decent moorings really, a real bug bear, especially as the harbour has been occupied with a huge carpark instead of a decent development, it took 30 years to do and 30 years on it is a carbuncle on our coastline. Add to that the bureaucratic debacle which has allowed us to lose the helicopter link and not fully develop the sea link to Scilly and our local town has fallen into disrepair and is so much in the shadow of our beautiful sisters at St Ives and Falmouth.

..ahh well, it is said.. on reflection the best bit about the town is probably now the bypass which takes you directly towards my little piece of heaven on the A30. 

Despite that unexpected rant I do not feel passionately enough to get involved in making anything else happen, I think my community spiritedness was sucked up in my youth when I was involved with all kinds of things organising Raft Races, Harbour Xmas Lights, charity fundraising and my first and last love the Pz Phab Club which was such a big part of my life in my early 20's....

awhh, I kind of miss it now sometimes, probably the good people you get to meet and the feeling of achievement, but at his own admission my Col is not a community spirited type (yes, he would do anything for you, but is pretty much fully utilised in his efforts to make work happen and look after and provide for his family.. )and having done my bit in our current village when our Mums were about; all those coffee mornings, table sales and socials at the chapel, and of course the school based stuff which seemed to go on forever,(well it does when you have 5 kids across eleven years I guess!) I must have enjoyed at the time..

So, now I just don't 'feel it'. maybe it's something you do when your kids are young and then again when you retire, but I did a couple of years on the Village Hall committee and tried hard to buck the trend where only 25 of the same stalwart villagers turned out and spent their pounds to keep alive a Hall only used by the 25 who supported it (there's a moral there somewhere) Some events nights would find me making soups and cakes and attending with maybe one or two of the kids an almost funny (yes, just 'almost funny') comedy nights, whilst the rest of my family were laid out at home in front the fire watching X-factor! 

Eventually I stuck to my guns and now enjoy the fire too, along with Blog world and all it offers.. sad but true.. x  And as for you all, thanks for making Jb feel so welcome on her cake blog.. tonight's project she has is making bunting.. gosh, I can visualise her in years to come in a New England shaker kitchen wearing a gingham dress and putting up chequered bunting for the summer cream teas.... are you all coming then?

We could even take in a song and dance show at the Minack...(now that is another story!)

6 comments:

  1. I do know what you mean about our towns falling into disrepair. we occasionally have someone with a good idea and then offset with a bad one. Damien Hirst taking over a building on the pier road , developing it into a bistro. Great idea. Putting a 50ft statue of a pregnant naked woman on our pier. Not so.

    If I ruled the world things would be different...alas I am too busy ruling my little world to take that on! lol.

    It is X-Factor night after all. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know what Kathi ? This all reminds me about our honeymoon. We've been to all these places you mention and I have such nice memories of them, especially land's end. We came back on our 3rd anniversary to do the same tour again , from the same hotel ! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathi what a wonderful breakfast read, loved everyword you wrote xxx
    It brought back thoughts to wwhen we lived in a village (for 30yrs) and children went to the village school and all thos committees and fund raising, PTA dances, baking and fetes etc. As the children made good friends so did I!!
    I do think there comes a time in our lives when we say enough let someone else do it as it is always the same peeps isn't it? It is the same at church a few people doing a lot of jobs and when you try to hand over a job, there is noone wants it!
    Re marinas, Hastings wasn't forward moving so Eastbourne has the Marina and Hastings became a deprived area . The same thing is now happening over our 2 hospitals and I have a feeling thatsadly Eastbourne will win this one with many services going to their hospital
    Oh you have set me off LOL xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathi what a wonderful breakfast read, loved everyword you wrote xxx
    It brought back thoughts to wwhen we lived in a village (for 30yrs) and children went to the village school and all thos committees and fund raising, PTA dances, baking and fetes etc. As the children made good friends so did I!!
    I do think there comes a time in our lives when we say enough let someone else do it as it is always the same peeps isn't it? It is the same at church a few people doing a lot of jobs and when you try to hand over a job, there is noone wants it!
    Re marinas, Hastings wasn't forward moving so Eastbourne has the Marina and Hastings became a deprived area . The same thing is now happening over our 2 hospitals and I have a feeling thatsadly Eastbourne will win this one with many services going to their hospital
    Oh you have set me off LOL xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. A great read Kathi...I seem to be in the 'having a break' moment. I did run a Rainbows and helped at Brownies...but its time for me to sit back and maybe when the kids are older help out at things again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kathi, You have taken me back to when I was younger and the children were at home. The only thing I am involved with now is my ME group and that is for totally selfish reasons. I mix with people who totally understand and accept my illness. In 2 years I will be leaving it for someone else younger to carry on - or maybe before. Enough is enough isn't it.

    ReplyDelete

I am hoping that 'Anonymous' has stopped stalking me with his Spam now, but may have to put verification back on if it comes back.. I just can't buy any more over the counter drugs or Louis V handbags girls!! ;-)