Wednesday 3 October 2012

365/276-7 Still Life - above & below

 Still life.. well I referred to the folders and this is the nearest I can offer. It features a gorgeous cup and saucer and sunglasses with my book of the week on holiday a couple of years ago.. it was a ten day trip with Col on my own, our kind of honeymoon many years late and my 50th rolled into one!

It's funny how that as the evenings pull in and it gets cooler and damper I am thinking about holidays. For years we never managed holidays but after 2004 when we took all five of the kids on a holiday of a lifetime, a sunny warm fortnight has been one of the highlights of our year.. well, to be fair, the highlight of our 18 months!  It was great to take them all and now that we go with only maybe the girls or a smaller contingent it is slightly sad to leave some behind... but still, not sad enough to say no!

It was good of everyone to 'vote' for a holiday or a kitchen, but I think the kitchen / extension will win, mainly as Lisa is due to have the baby in January so I wouldn't want to be away from early Dec onwards, and that is when we usually flit away, plus the girls have college / school exams and maybe this year I should let sense prevail, when in the past I have been known not to be too bothered about that old moan from schools about holidays in term time (we always feel like they have the kids all term and if they haven't got it by now, two more weeks of herding and threatened detentions etc isn't likely to make another grade..) 

Also we have had a grim old porch which was once a lean-to extension kitchen but was condemned when we moved here 15 years ago, hence it becoming a damp but useful porch....housing over the years everything from dogs, kittens and shoes to Xmas Tesco shops and all those bits and bobs like lightbulbs and Lego that you just may need next week!
The last year or so have seen our family gatherings grow again and we want a bigger space to have our family evenings and JB wants more space to bake.. oh and I want more sunshine in my kitchen.. I currently live with the lights on andin winter feel quite S.A.D.!!

Talking of which (JB baking that is!) she made a fab gingerbread today.. and has started herself a baking blog, which she tells me I have to nidge her to complete weekly at least. She so wants to bake for a living, but we are just not sure how it will or can manifest itself.. time will tell and in the meantime she will carry on woth photography and graphics and see how it all pans out..

.. and so today's prompt.. above and below.. sticking with some holiday snaps... perfect for an October evening!....I think they just about cover it..xxxxx


6 comments:

  1. Kathi, those photos are publishable quality beautiful.

    I so hope that you can encourage JB and give her the space and she should also make her blog a daily , semi daily duty. Why, well what do we love in a blog? Frequency, quality and fun. Your family is not short of fun so she can get ahead and plan blog posts for a few weeks/months before she goes live and 'serious' She could make the angle that she is starting out and talk about the journey (rather than she is perfect to start) I would love that!

    The lean to? Well we all have that space that we wish was gone and it generally is the entrance to our house!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would love to read her blog if you could give me the link? Has she seen the film Julie and Julia?

    Love seeing peeps holiday photos and quite right they were just right for both days!!
    What is your FB name so we can make friends:) Kim is on there and I keep encouraging her to get going again!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photos, that immediately rises spirit !
    I would love reading the baking blog too !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would like a link too please :) Loving all the sun photos. Richard and I went to Kos 11 years ago, my one and only holiday abroad. The kids would like to go on a plane too...but I cant see it happening for a while. Good luck with the kitchen :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photos - thanks for sharing them with us!
    I like looking at your blog - I do not understand everything ..
    I loved that too:
    Quote of the day
    "A happy marriage has in it all the pleasures of a friendship, all the enjoyments of sense and reason, and indeed, all the sweets of life." - Joseph Addison 1672
    I can not wait to see the new culinary blog - Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great photos for above and below.
    I also would love to follow your daughters blog.
    Good luck with your new kitchen.

    ReplyDelete

I am hoping that 'Anonymous' has stopped stalking me with his Spam now, but may have to put verification back on if it comes back.. I just can't buy any more over the counter drugs or Louis V handbags girls!! ;-)