Saturday 19 June 2010

Who do you think you are..

..the TV programme that is! It's just become one of my guilty pleasures (you'll have to work the others out for yourselves..tada!)

For a while now I have peeked at it when it's on but this week I watched a whole episode, about Lesley Garrett the opera singer, it traced her northern roots and she had to go back through her Dad's line and then her Mum's in order to find her musical roots.

I did hear that they only 'do' the celebrities who have some interesting story in their past, but if you can relate the story to some period of history then it's a story nevertheless.  It's made me keen(er) to get to work on transferring the pencil written notes of my Grandad's wartime thoughts onto a word doc. and that'll be a nice exercise these summer evenings while Col's working on one of his new projects in the workshop..

Funny really, my brother and I have talked a lot about our Dad's family and the fishing roots and I know he's researched some of the older generations back through the Census records but not so much about Mum's family. Perhaps because our Dad was 'gone' or because we two had lived in the same place as him.. and Ken for one had gone the fishing route as well...me? well I just love the sea and the space they existed in.

When we were away on holiday I was talking to Ross and said to him that my Dad used to drink black tea, but I wasn't sure if he had sugar as well. A small insignificant thing really, but at that moment I observed that with Mum being gone there's no-one to ask bar Ken.. so I must! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am hoping that 'Anonymous' has stopped stalking me with his Spam now, but may have to put verification back on if it comes back.. I just can't buy any more over the counter drugs or Louis V handbags girls!! ;-)