Thursday 23 May 2013

The day the police came to my party!

When I was a kid I used to really look forward to my birthday parties.. and then as soon as we had eaten the birthday tea and everyone was running about I would find myself a book and wish they would all go home!  

Mum always did me a lovely spread, party games and if it was fine us kids often had parties on the 'lawn' which had once been a grass tennis court in the cottage next door. 

I remember a blindfolded game where they made you think you were flying off a pile of cushions, I have no idea what it aimed to be / do, but it is a big memory of a tall pile of cushions and having to trust the grown ups not to let you go!

We were a small fishing cove a long way from town and only ever had the rare visit from a policeman on a motorbike about once every 6 months. P C Glover was a kindly man and used to drop in to ours and Mum would always make him a cup of tea (it was her true vocation, making people at home, making them tea and cake!)

One year my birthday party, probably my 6th or 7th..was in full flow, ten or twelve kids all shouting and reaching for their favourite food from a huge table full of goodies (this was when a party was extra special and we didn't eat party rings all year round!)  
Quietly PC Glover appeared in the door and the place fell silent.. well apart from my cousin Neil who had his back to the door and was last to notice the presence of 'the Police'..  his face was a picture and he soon stopped yapping!  
The grown ups loved it, very amused.

Half an hour later PC Glover came back again, he had been up the road to buy me a box of chocolates for my birthday.  Not bad community relations huh?

I don't have any pictures of those parties I can add here but it seems fair to add this lovely shot of me at about four outside our house with Ted (Neil's dad) and his brother Bobby George; they were painting the outside of our house and once again Mum had done the tea making duties!  Loving the big cup!  (thanks Sarah for the pic)


5 comments:

  1. Great photo, lovely memories

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great memories xxx I too have no party photos from childhood but great memories so must get on with your challenge today as the weather is the pits!!! What I do have to scan in are all the mad wild parties from our 30's and 40's!!!!!! Oh to be that age again :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely photo Kathi. Black and white can look so nice. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. You brought back some lovely memories with this post. My parents were teachers and used to get really stuck into organising the games!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely story and what a nice policeman :) Parties did use to be special, even though my guys wanted 'new style' parties, I made sure they had a couple of traditional parties and they were worth cleaning up the bomb site after. xxx

    ReplyDelete

I am hoping that 'Anonymous' has stopped stalking me with his Spam now, but may have to put verification back on if it comes back.. I just can't buy any more over the counter drugs or Louis V handbags girls!! ;-)